Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Wall of a Thousand Staples

or "How to put up an entire wall of paper by yo sweet self"


Early in the summer I went in and was surrounded by the blankness. Oh, the blankness. Thankfully, I have been shopping for my classroom for over a year, and managed to find several rolls of fadeless paper on sale!!


So I've got the wall, and the paper...and myself.


After a few false starts, I found the best way to get this down was to enlist some text books to hold up the roll while I stapled the paper.


In the picture, You can see that I circled my other secret weapons: paperclips and this AMAZING stapler.


I love this stapler because you can take the bottom off and use it completely flat without any fuss. And because the bottom is magnetic, it catches all the staples that get messed up!!

The paperclips really helped when it came to holding up the roll because I only have to hands. If you staple the paper as close to the roll as appeasable, it will stand up and place and let you go get more staples, eat a burrito, or turn up HGTV that's playing in the background. 


After I slowly made my way along the wall, I came across one of the 34536 outlets. I was really worried at first but it turned out not bad at all! I found the best thing to do was not to completely lock it in or you will get bubbles in the paper. Instead, staple above or below and also to the side to where the paper still stays in a level line. Then, because the paper is so thin, I was able to just use my fingernail to "cut" along the hard edge of the outlet.


 Okay crisis averted. But now it's ugly!! Have no fear- wash tape is here!



So much better. So much sparkle too :)


To be honest, I was nervous bout the sparkle tape, but once I did it to all of them, it looked much more cohesive. 


If you look back, you can see that I reached the end of my roll. This honestly came as a surprise to me. But then I remember that a 25 foot wall will in fact need more that a 12 foot long roll of paper. 

And because we don't live in a perfect world, the end of the first wall did not match up with the beginning of the next roll. Sad Day. So then I just lined it up as best as I could, and had to recover the outlet. No biggie.


Also no biggie. I think that's why border was created right? For teachers who can hardly cut a straight line?


Next task: the upper level. I had to upgrade my textbooks to a stool and then a box, and ten more books! Yes it looks janky. But it works!! I found it was much easier to go slow.


The upper level was much more uneventful. Which is a totally good thing. The next bump in the road came from trying to decide what border to use!


I had originally planned on using the sparkle border on the right but when I put it up, I just wasn't impressed. I texted the options to my SIL who teaches high school, who was with two other teachers at heaven Ikea.
The voted for the aqua polka dots. Which was secretly what I wanted them to pick. I was nervous though! When I think would grain, polka dots don't jump out at me as being complimentary. 
But look at it!
It's so pretty! 
And it matches my pretty bookshelves!!
Squeee!!


Thank oyu for sticking' with me on the Great Wall of Wood Grain. The amount of pride I have for this thing is unbelievable. It's the first thing you see when you walk in the room and it has such a calming effect! I really think the calm may transfer over to the students too. To some degree at least ;)

Have a great few last days of summer everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment